Grilled Vegetable Paella with Chorizo
For grilled vegetables:
- Asparagus: 6
- Zucchini: 1
- Jarred piquillo peppers
- Olive oil
For the paella:
- Chicken broth: 4 cups
- Olive oil (extra-virgin): 2 tbsp
- Shallot: 1, minced
- Garlic: 1 clove, minced/grated
- Mushroom: 4, sliced
- Chorizo: 6 oz, diced
- Bomba or Valencia rice: 1.5 cups
- Dry Spanish sherry: 1 cup
- Sofrito: 1 cup
- Saffron (optional): 1/8 tsp
- Lemon: 1
- Pimentón: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1.5 tsp
- Manchego cheese: 1/2 cup, grated
- Italian parsley: 2 tbsp
- Simmer chicken broth in a saucepan.
- Heat grill on medium-high. Brush vegetables with oil. Season with salt and grill until toasted around the edges and evenly grill-marked on all sides. Cut into bite-sized pieces when cool enough.
- Heat a paella pan or sauté pan on medium-high, add oil. When oil is shimmering, add shallot and season. When caramelized, add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 sec. Add mushrooms, sauté until tender. Add chorizo and rice, stirring to coat with oil, and toast for 1 min. Add wine, stirring often until absorbed into the rice. Add sofrito, saffron (if used), lemon zest, pimentón and salt, stir to combine. Add 2 cups of chicken broth, stirring just enough to even out the rice in the pan and incorporate the ingredients. Reduce heat to medium, add the remaining 2 cups of broth and simmer, undisturbed, for 8 min.
- Distribute grilled vegetables over the top of the paella. Loosely cover pan with foil/lid. Cook until almost all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is browned and caramelized on the bottom, about 10 min. When rice is tender, remove the paella from heat and let rest for 5 min before serving.
- Garnish with fresh squeezed lemon juice, cheese and parsley. Serve family style straight from the pan.